Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Why God Enjoys Baseball


I love this time of the year, especially this year (so far). Rooting for the Yankees (I grew up in New York, so they are simply my home team -- stop being such Yankee-haters!), fall is baseball time, and with the exception of last year, my chance to cheer for my team.

I love it when they slug it out, but I also love it when they play 'small-ball', the pitcher's duel, and managers play tactical chess-games of lefty-righty match-ups.

All this reminded me of a fantastic article/book on 'Why God Enjoys Baseball.'  I spoke last week about thinking of our work -- however mundane, however not-spiritual -- as opportunities to worship God.  Even our unredeemed activities, even our play, can be an expression of God's 'common grace.'  God delights in the excellence of His Creation.  This is why we root for heros, even though we don't know if they are Christian or not; this is why we admire acts of fair-play; this is why some movies move us in profound ways, because they speak of some deep, deep truth.

And this why God enjoys the present Yankees-Angels series, even though He might be rooting for both teams. Good baseball.  Good theology. (And please, no comments about how God has to be rooting for the 'angels.'  Not only was it a bad movie, its probably bad theology! - ;-))

Read more about this.
The book is a reference to Rich Mouw's He Shines in All That's Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment