Monday, March 19, 2012

Lenten Practices: Harder Than You Thought?

Okay, confession time.

When I was thinking about what lenten practice I would commit to this season, I was going to go for something kinda hardcore.  Like fasting for 40 days.  Or at least 7.  Something that a medieval monk might do.  Or at least a 1970's evangelical.

But I didn't.  I decided to go for something a lot easier.  Like fasting three lunches a week.  And refraining from shopping.  While they don't have the 'wow' factor as the harder stuff, they seemed worthwhile, and I thought I could focus more on quality, rather than quantity.

But 'easy' has not turned out to be so easy.

Okay, is it just me, or is anyone else struggling with keeping up with their lenten practices?  I mean, for the most part I've been pretty good about the refraining part, but I catch myself just 'drifting' all the time!  And while I've definitely had couple of instances of 'deeper reflection' during these moments, for the most part, I am focused much more on just simply 'not doing'.

All of which is quite revealing to me...

So, let me ask you -- lenten practices: harder than you thought?

[btw, as I was composing this, Nadia just commented on the previous post about her struggles with the lenten practices.  Thanks Nadia!]

3 comments:

  1. Definitely hard...really hard -- Instead of saying, "wanna go eat?" I have to say, "lets go grab boba or coffee". SIGH. turning down lunch/dinner invitations have been hard but it has also given me an opportunity to share the purpose of this lenten practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During this Lenten season I realized that trying to be more holy makes me feel less holy. The funny thing is, if I didn't try to push myself, I might just feel content with the type of holiness I had. However, now that it's too late, I see that what I had or thought I had in holiness is not so much.
    The first way I see this is in what you brought up, Pastor Jin, I thought I could go hardcore, but every year I choose something slightly difficult not really difficult. Abstaining from sweets, candies, and desserts is hard (especially for someone who carries bags of candies around with her), but its nothing like a real 3 day or 7 day fast (40 days...that's kinda insane). So, I realized that I'm not as willing to go for it, not willing to say, "Yes LORD I will do the difficult thing for you!"
    Secondly, I realized that maybe I'm not supposed to be as holy as I thought I should be. Maybe that holiness is supposed to come from God to me, a sinner. Of course, I shouldn't go around committing more sin, but I think I'm realizing that even when I try hard to follow God's commandments, I still have enough sin. Holiness is God's grace to me and this Lent I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how generous and loving a God I serve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um.. YES. sadly, I somehow discovered a way to "cheat". It's a bigger thing than just not watching TV for me. It's escape in general. And I do it.. a lot.

    ReplyDelete