Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Holy Week: Eyes on Jesus...


Palm Sunday (last week) begins what is traditionally known as 'Holy Week', the week leading up to Easter Sunday.

For those of us less-liturgically raised, it is a challenge. We lack the guide of tradition to understand just how we ought to be during this time.

Don't get me wrong--I am not saying we do not appreciate the significance.  We know this ought to be a centerpiece of our year, but like someone who understands the words but misses the punchline, we feel left out of something we think we should 'get.'

One thing I am beginning to understand, is that this is the time when the focus turns to Jesus.  This seems like a blatantly banal statement... and it may be.  But what I mean is that Lent has led me (us) to a time of deep personal reflection about the darkness of my condition, and my soul's dependence... but now Holy Week comes around and makes me travel with Jesus, in what is clearly his journey.  In doing this, my obsession over my life gets swept up into an observation of Christ's life, death, and resurrection.

In other words, it turns from "Christ, who is with me" to "me, who is with Christ."

Which is the way it should be...


No comments:

Post a Comment